favorite quote:

'Whatever we get soon seems a natural right, not a gift. And we forget the Giver. Then our gaze shifts from what we have been given to what we don't have yet'...unknown

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer Greens...

Wow-I know...you're surprised that I am doing another post already right? Well, I had to show off this years garden: Our corn isn't quite as high as an elephants eye- but this is the best our corn has ever done! Maybe we are finally getting the hang of this gardening stuff. Our peas have come & gone & they were delish! We also planted tomatoes, pumpkins, peppers, & cucumbers. Can't wait to see how they all turn out this year.
Yes- this mess is also a garden on the other side of the house- and it drives me a little crazy! If it were up to me our gardens would all be in perfectly straight rows, labeled with type & variety. Ya know-somethig real Martha Stewart-ish. Most of you know how particular I can be :0) But since Danny does most the work I can't complain right? At least not to him ;0)

I recently found out how to make my own sun-dried tomatoes-YUM! I love sun-dried tomatoes, especially on sandwiches & in alfredo sauce. All you do is slice them into wedges, scoop out the pulpy seed part, layout on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, then bake at 200 degress for 4 hours. Now the shocking part-all this came from one GIANT tomato! I wish I had taken a picture before I hacked it up-it was literally bigger than my whole hand-fingers spread open! Anyway- once baked & cooled you can even freeze small amounts in bags & only thaw what you need. Cool huh? I plan on canning most the other tomatoes but this is a great option for those early birds that are ready to harvest before all the rest.

The finished product-delish!
Before baking-they still look yummy!
YUMMY! Don't be too jealous but I know what we are having for dinner tonite! :0)

8 comments:

Kaela said...

SO impressive!! We attempted to grow a garden this year- our beans didn't grow, but the other stuff is doing alright so far. Hopefully we can learn a little more each year. Your garden is gorgeous and I hear gardens in St. George are super tricky- way to go!!!

I can't believe you made all of those sun-dried tomatoes from one tomato either- yummy!!

Erin said...

LOVE the garden! My parents have one and my girls LOVE picking the tomatoes. Speaking of...yours look delicious!

Christan said...

I am sooo jealous!! Can't wait to be back in a house so we can have room for our own! Way to go Danny!

Anonymous said...

K, so I can't wait to make these. Yummy! Your garden is very impressive. How do you keep up on everything, I swear, you are wonder woman.

Pickle said...

yummy...I'm very jealous of your garden!

Stacy and Mike said...

OHHHHHHHHH I can vouch that their were lots of peas and delicious! Way to go on the corn! Can Danny talk to Mike about that?

The Harrises said...

Those sundried tomatoes do look yummy! I hope you found a good recipe to put them in. You're garden is probably bursting by now. There is nothing better than fresh tomatoes. I'm craving a tomato sandwich now.

MCJaster said...

Thank you Marv! THis is what I'm doing today.